Practice Accident Lands Biffle In Backup Car
By Team Ford Racing Correspondent
HOMESTEAD, Fla. – A practice-session accident Saturday will put Ford Racing driver Greg Biffle in a backup Fusion for Sunday’s Ford EcoBoost 400, the final race of the Sprint Cup season.
Biffle, Denny Hamlin and Joey Logano crashed along the frontstretch during the first of two Sprint Cup practices, damaging all three cars heavily enough to lead all three teams to go to backup racers for Sunday.
Biffle qualified 13th, but he will start the race at the rear of the grid because of the team’s move to a backup car. The accident apparently started when Biffle and Hamlin were going for the same piece of real estate, and Logano, the pole winner, was drawn into the crash.
Biffle and Hamlin discussed the accident in the garage area.
“I don’t think that he (Hamlin) thought we were three-wide,” Biffle said. “He thought we were two-wide. Ultimately, we may not have been three-wide at that particular time, but my spotter told me to leave the 20 (Logano) room.
“Whether he was there or not, maybe the 20 said, ‘I’ve had enough. You’re three-wide. This is practice.’ I don’t know.”
Biffle said he expects his backup car to be “really good.”
New Car Is “Gen-Six” – NASCAR has given the new 2013 race car model a name, and it’s Gen-Six.
The sanctioning body considers the new-model cars the sixth generation of the racer NASCAR debuted in what was called the Strictly Stock Series in 1949.
In a Saturday press conference at Homestead-Miami Speedway, NASCAR also unveiled some appearance changes to the new cars. Each driver’s last name will appear on the top of the windshield, and teams will be allowed to put one sponsor name on the roof, an area previously reserved for the car number.
The new car is designed to put more emphasis on manufacturer identity, both to satisfy fans and to give car builders better selling points. The final versions of the competing models will go through more tests before approval for their debuts next February.
“There has been an unprecedented amount of collaboration to get here in step with what the manufacturers believe is the best-looking race car,” NASCAR chairman Brian France said. “The missing and final piece which we’ve been working on is to improve on the quality of racing, which everyone knows is the stated goal of ours.”
NASCAR also announced that it is lowering the minimum age for competing in the Camping World Truck Series from 18 to 16 for road courses and tracks 1.1 miles in length and shorter. It also appears likely that series will race on dirt next year at Eldora Speedway in Ohio, although NASCAR stopped short of confirming that Saturday.